This is a loophole that I chanced upon awhile back. It still works till today. Remember my Phuket booking this morning? This is the steps to take.
1. Login to AirAsia and Manage My Booking
2. View the particular booking you wish to allocate seats
|Before: No seat allocated|
3. Click on "Web Check In Now"
4. Tick the To and Fro flights, and all the passenger names, and click Continue
|Although my flight is 9 months away, you can still click Web Checkin Now|
5. You will the allocated your seats. Click Cancel to cancel the Web Checkin
|My seats: 10A & 10B for both ways|
6. Then go back to Manage My Booking to View the booking
|I did not pay for any seat allocation, but got a confirmed seat in my travel party of 2|
|Seats 10A & 10B can no longer be purchased by anyone|
The conclusion is, the Web Check In system will allocate any empty seats from Row 10 onwards, on a first come first serve basis. To ensure that you are seated together, perform a mock booking to check whether there are indeed enough empty seats in a row for your traveling party. You may of course proceed to do the entire Web Check In process 9 months ahead of time even. But bear in mind, no changes can be made once Web Check In has been performed, for example cannot add meals, baggage, buy insurance, or cancel your plans and ask for a tax refund.
Please keep this a secret from AirAsia! Shhhhhh don't let them fix this yet.